Looking for the perfect window treatment? Plantation shutters are a classic choice; they add a touch of elegance to any room. However, no two homes (and no two homeowners) are the same. How can you be sure that they’re right for you? We’ll walk you through the pros and cons.
PROS of Plantation Shutters
- Customizability: Plantation shutters are completely customizable. They are measured to fit your windows perfectly. They come in a variety of paints, stains, and colors, and the louvers can be set anywhere from 1 inch to 4.5 inches apart. You can really make these window treatments your own.
- High Quality: You can’t just pick up a standard set of plantation shutters at your local home improvement store. Because the shutters are custom-made, they are incredibly high quality.
- Durability: These shutters are traditionally made from 100% solid wood. When properly cleaned and maintained, they will last you for many, many years.
- Light Control: The louvers of plantation shutters allow you to control the amount of light filtering into your room.
- Increased Home Value: They’re the only window treatments that can be financed into the value of your home. They offer more “bang for your buck” in terms of resale value.
- Aesthetics: Plantation shutters are a popular choice for a reason. They are classic, elegant, and they bring a sense of architecture to any home. They are a beautiful choice.
- Cost: Because plantation shutters are usually custom built and of such high quality, they also tend to cost more. If you are working with a smaller budget that may be something to keep in mind.
- Maintenance: Like all shutters, they do require regular maintenance. In order to keep them looking their best, you will need to clean them frequently and tighten the louvers occasionally.
- Views: If you’re looking for panoramic views during the day and only plan to use your window treatments in the evenings, plantation shutters may not be for you. The shutters stay in place, and you can only open and close the louvers. However, if you prefer more light, you can opt for louvers that are set farther apart, such as 2.5 inches apart, which have become quite popular.
When it comes to plantation shutters, the look is truly time-honored and beautiful. However, choosing the right window treatments for your home is a very personal decision. If needed, we can help you find the right choice for your home.
Start the conversion with us today!